Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Historical Sew Monthly 2015 - The Plan

I simply love the Historical Sew Monthly 2015! What a great challenge by The Dreamstress.  This year I plan on joining in for the first time ever (the last three years I was working full time, in night school for my graduate degree & planning a wedding), so I FINALLY have the time, I think! My life is still a busy, crazy thing at times, but I want to try to join in these challenges these year, with the first three months up first, so without further ado, here is my plan!


  • January - Foundations: make something that is the foundation of a period outfit.
Well, the January challenge sounds like time to finally get my (long planned) Victorian stays in gear & done, BUT, I have limited sewing time, and I just launched a brand new Etsy shop, TheLadyDetalle, featuring 18th century reproduction muffs and other fun things, so with a good bit of my time dedicated to this launch, I'm going to focus on another interpretation of this challenge, I often feel that accessories really make an outfit, so I'm thinking a fabulous accessory that just is the whole reason behind making an outfit to go with it would be grand...the details of this are still in the works, so more on this soon!
  • February - Colour Challenge Blue: make an item that features blue, in any shade from azure to zaffre. 
Hooray for blue challenge, that will be FUN! I love making things in blue, so I'll have to dig through the stash for some blue fabric and go from there :). I'm thinking probably a late 18th century or early 19th century waistcoat or jacket for my husband would be just the thing! 
  • March - Stashbusting: make something using only fabric, patterns, trims & notions that you already have in the stash. 
The third challenge I actually find pretty exciting, because it is a chance to focus on making something specifically that is from my stash, and I have some good fabric on hand & planned for some historical outfits, so I think I'm really going to have fun on this one. I have a few things swirling around in my head, including a new Regency ballgown for the JAF in England later this year, a new Regency spencer (short jacket) or perhaps I'll finally make my Francaise, which I have the perfect fabric & trim for, and just need the time!

Wish me luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment