Monday, February 12, 2018

Sewing progress - light aqua blue green silk late 18th century jacket

Sewing progress!

I started a new late 18th century jacket on Sunday, but didn't get very far yet because I ended up doing a closet purge instead, lol. So far I cut out the bodice, sleeves, and sleeve flounces, and pinned down the back pleats, before hand sewing 1 of 4 back pleats down: 


I'm thinking Robe a la' Anglaise jacket with peplum, maybe even with a hood. Haven't decided yet, but I'm using my base late 18th pattern I redrafted in 2016 in a light aqua blue green silk taffeta. It needs a few more tweaks, but it's a good place to start. 

I'm still researching Robe a la' Anglaise variations: hoods in the late 18th century were generally on capes and other outerwear, and when they were on gowns or jackets, it was generally a Brunswick or Jesuit, although I've also seen a Polannaise with a hood and I think a Robe a la Anglaise too, but I need to research more and decide soon. If you have any fashion plates/prints or portraits or extents that you can share of a Robe a la' Anglaise with a hood, I'd love to see it, thanks!