First up, here's a preview of the short cloak & almost finished muff!
|Short Cloak & Muff Preview - TheLadyDetalle|
Here's a link to the blog entry where I talk about how I put together the short cloak base:
And on to the hood...
Image of hood shape from 'The Cut of Women's Clothes' by Norah Waugh:
|Image from 'The Cut of Women's Clothes' by Norah Waugh|
Again, an aune is a French pre-Revolutionary term for length, and is roughly 47 inches. I decided it must mean two-thirds of the original piece, so I figured out I would need roughly 46" total (23" on the fold) by approximately 26" across.
Two pieces of fabric pinned together and on the fold: top layer is silk taffeta, bottom layer is pink linen:
|Short cloak progress - TheLadyDetalle|
|Shaping the hood - TheLadyDetalle|
|Adding bia binding to hood neckline - TheLadyDetalle|
|Adding gathers to cloak base neckline - TheLadyDetalle|
|Finished cloak hood by TheLadyDetalle|
|Finished cloak base by TheLadyDetalle|
|Deciding where to attach the hood - TheLadyDetalle|
A few more construction notes: you don't need to finish the edges of the cloak base & hood before attaching them: you can attach them and then finish the edges, it's just, sometimes I like to create things with little finishing touches, and I loved how the bias binding looked and the stability it added, so I decided to put this together in my own way, as I'm sure seamstresses throughout time have done :).
Again, the original extant garment pic is this:
|Extant cloak & muff - image from the Digital Museum|
|Almost finished cloak by TheLadyDetalle|
I hope this little short cloak hood mini tutorial was helpful!