First, I hemmed two sides on a golden super lightweight silk to create a SASH (#1), then finished the cotten silk blend Edwardian over-skirt (#2) from two years ago I never finished, then hemmed the three sides on an off-white organza triangle to create a FICHU (#3), then I made two more PILLOW COVERS (#4) using small pieces of 'designer' drapery fabric and blue silk dupioni from the stash, and then I hand-sewed an orange silk taffeta MUFF (#5) (I plan to decorate it more in future) which was just lying about with a few stitches started, and finally, I did my bodice fixes (#6) and add trim to the waistline of my mustard yellow cotton early 19th century crossover GOWN. I have more trim I was planning to add around the trim as edging but I may decide to leave it here. Either way, it's better fit & now wearable again!
|Mustard yellow cotton with black cotton trim - early
19th century cross over gown by TheLadyDetalle
|Golden silk sash - very thin
|Cotton silk Edwardian over-skirt
|Fichu - late 18th century
|Orange silk taffeta mu
|Set of 'designer' pillows with blue silk dupioni backs
There is so much about this silhoutte that is both different and shows how the back pleats down the center in a single length of fabric in the Robe a la Francaise and shorter Pet 'en lair, with loose pleats are later 're-purposed' into the 'en fourreau' pleats of the English gown en fourreau, which is pleats sewn down but a single length of fabric down to the floor. What a neat style and lots of fun to make and wear!
My aim is to have in done in time for the 5th Annual Francaise Dinner, so wish me luck!
I'm really happy to start off January meeting the Procrastination challenge by knocking out quite a few UFO's AND working on a dress that I have been procrastinating starting on for many years!
Historical Sew Monthly JANUARY challenge:
The Challenge: Procrastination - finish a garment you have been putting off finishing (a UFO or PHD) or make something you have been avoiding starting.
Fabric: various fabrics from the UFO's.
Pattern: Sash - no pattern (long rectangle), fichu - no pattern (triangle), set of pillows - no pattern, traced out the prior cover, over skirt - one of the big three, muff - TheLadyDetalle muff pattern, cross over gown - a highly modified version of S&S's cross over gown, and JP Ryan for the Robe a la Francaise.
Year: various years from mid 18th to early 20th centuries.
How historically accurate is it? sash - very, fichu - very, pillows - I believe the fabric and print is appropriate, over skirt - by all accounts yes, muff - definitely, cross over gown - very accurate cut and fabric and fit - a bit high neckline, JP Ryan - will be very accurate.
Hours to complete: Sash - few hours, fichu - few hours, pillows - few hours, finish over skirt - few hours, muff - few hours, gown - a half day, and a few evenings muslins, planning and cutting on the Francaise.
First worn: None of them yet, will use most this year!
Total cost: Stash, stash, stash - Sash - fabric bought on super sale long ago, fichu - fabric free from a friend, pillows - bought for $20 each many years ago - the remnants I used were VERY cheap, over-skirt - from stash years ago, orange silk taffeta - sale remnant, and cross over gown - stash fix, and Francaise - the fabric was sale from Fashion District, I'll post about it later.